[Mimedefang] some spam not being filtered (2)

Mark Suter suter at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Wed Aug 27 19:23:00 EDT 2003

Keith,

> ok see more now what the problem is... getting some spam through - but in
> the headers I see all of the headers for sa, but nothing for md (i.e. no
> "X-Scanned-By")
>
> the question is, is there a limited number of connections by default (or
> instances) that are run, and if too much mail comes in at one time, can it
> overrun that default setting.... and is there a way to adjust this?

The configuration for sendmail to use MIMEDefang is the first
place to look, for example, from sendmail.mc on one on my hosts,

    INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang', `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:3m;R:3m;E:1m')

Without a F=? option, email will be passed through sendmail in
case of filter errors as if the failing filters were not present.
I use F=T to temporary fail the connection and don't recomment
the F=R to reject the email.

For all the gory detail, refer to Sendmail's _Installation and
Operation Guide_, normally distributed with sendmail as "op.txt".

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id 2C71D63D | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey