[Mimedefang] man mimedefang-filter

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Tue Aug 26 23:27:01 EDT 2003

On Wed Aug 27 2003 at 10:32, cc wrote:

(perhaps a little off-topic, but however...)

> I tried to man mimedefang-filter > this.txt,
> but the formatting is a bit off.  I had
> to use major regexp substitutions before
> I cleaned it off.

The "proper" (ie, traditional unix) way to do this is:

$ man manpage | col -b > manpage.txt

> Is there an easier way of printing it?
> What's especially frustrating is that
> the underlined words are missing.
>
> Any help appreciated

The resulting printed output is better still with this magic:

$ man -t manpage | lpr

("man -t" produces postscript output).

(I regularly use: "man -t manpage | mpage -2 -o -P" to get two very
nicely formatted and quite readable pages/page.  If your printer
does duplex then you can save even more trees by adding another
switch to mpage to do it like that).

Cheers
Tony