[Mimedefang] Re: clamav/mimedefang

cc cc at belfordhk.com
Mon Aug 25 05:05:01 EDT 2003

Jeremy Mates wrote:

> * cc <cc at belfordhk.com>
>
>>... while talking to mydomain.com.:

>><<< 554 5.7.1 Virus EICAR-Test-File found in mail - rejected
>>554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>>
>>When it says "Service unavailable", does it mean that it couldn't run
>>ClamScan or is this part of something else? The ClamD log doesn't show
>>anything.
>

> Something found the eicar test virus and caused the Mail Transport Agent
> (MTA) to reject the message from your SMTP client.
>
> The 554 and 5.0.0 are mail status codes in the "Permanent Failure"
> class. They indicate the server rejected the message from the client
> system. For more information on mail status codes, see RFC 1893:

This would indicate that clamav has rejected the message and
mimedefang bounce the message with the given results.  So,
in essence, it works?

The clamd log and the other logs (syslog/messages/debug) didn't
indicate any sort of core-dumping (*whew*) or errors.

I'm going to mark this up as a success until I get some
serious time to test it out.

Thanks for the help Jeremy!