[Mimedefang] Messages spooled by secondary MX miss Mimedefang?

Mark Suter suter at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 24 03:18:01 EDT 2003

On 2003-08-23, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 01:00:28AM +1000, Mark Suter wrote:
>
> > My guess is the secondary MX is mentioned in the
> > /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter.  Can you place this file online
> > for us to look at?
>
> Sure. Nothing there about secondary MX's that I'm aware
> of. It's at http://www.transpect.com/mimedefang-filter.html.

I've looked and I concur.

> It occurs to me that what may have happened is that attachments were
> beyond the 200k limit beyond which they aren't fed through SA, and
> that the attachments were of types that MD stripped off (although
> there was no notice it had done that - which it looks like there
> should be from the filter script although I haven't seen one ever). I
> still don't understand why not even "X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang 2.35"
> showed up in the headers though, if that's the case - but I haven't
> traced the logic by which that's appended.

The next place to look should be the Recevied headers of the
offending email.  Can you place those online?

> Could MD be assuming that anything already received by an MX
> for the domain must already be okay?

Only if you put logic for that in your mimedefang-filter, which
is why I asked to see it.

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id 2C71D63D | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey