[Mimedefang] Example filter for bouncing beyond a SA threshold

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Sat Aug 23 13:05:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

To try to find how a few spams are slipping by unchecked I've posted my
mimedefang-filter at http://www.transpect.com/mimedefang-filter.html. For
the most part it's just the stock filter with some of the virus stuff I'm
not using commented out to save a cycle or two.

It may also be of interest to some because of the SpamAssassin section,
which has been modified to bounce mail beyond an arbitrary score threshold,
and to send mail below that threshold but above SpamAssassin's to a special
local mailbox rather than the addressee. I've had no false positives in many
thousands of mails setting the bounce threshold at 8 - I check the logs of
senders and subjects carefully and there's been nothing that wasn't obvious
spam at that level. The stuff between 5 and 8 has had just a few false
positives.

There may be problems in the logic elsewhere - I wouldn't suggest anyone
else adopt this whole filter as is. But the SpamAssassin section is working
quite well for me, and may be worth borrowing if you're looking for the same
effect. There are also several variables set at the top of the file that are
used in that, so these would need to be included too.

Whit