[Mimedefang] spamass-milter or mimedefang ?

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Aug 21 14:59:01 EDT 2003

At 09:50 AM 8/21/2003, Marcus Schopen wrote:
>What are the basic differences between spamass-milter or mimedefang?

I haven't looked into much detail on spamass-milter, but I can tell you
that MIMEDefang is very flexible.  You can set it up to take different
actions depending on score level or specific rules.  Suppose you wanted to
reject anything found in both Razor and Pyzor, or convert HTML to text (or
call Anomy to sanitize it) only if the spam score is higher than a certain
number, or set up multiple score ranges so that you can label, reject, or
silently discard a message based on its score.  You can pass through,
alter, tag, reject, and redirect messages.

MIMEDefang also lets you take action based on non-SpamAssassin
criteria.  For example, you can have it check to see if the remote server
is identifying itself using your IP address or hostname.

I have my system set up so that it labels anything above 5 and rejects
anything above 25.  It also rejects anything found in Razor or Pyzor with a
score higher than 10, or anything found in more than three DNSBLs (you have
to pick these carefully, though, and avoid sites that mirror each
other).  Exceptions are made for Bonded Sender and Habeas.  If the source
is one which I know does not accept incoming mail, I have it set up to
discard instead of reject.  Individuals have some limited customization -
they can bypass SA altogether, or they can choose a different rejection
threshold (setting it high to never reject mail, or setting it at lower,
riskier levels).

I don't know if you could set up this sort of configuration in spamass-milter.

Of course, the cost of this flexibility is that you do need to have some
Perl knowledge in order to make these customizations.  The sample filter
works very well, though!

>I just need spam scanning. Virusscanning is done by amavisd.

Doesn't amavisd also let you use spamassassin?

Kelson Vibber