[Mimedefang] Virus Reports

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Thu Aug 21 14:28:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 10:04, Wimprine, Thomas wrote:
> Due to the recent virus activity, I'm being asked to deliver some reports on
> what we are blocking.
>
> Is there an easy method of getting MIMEDefang to dump the virus data to
> another log file that I can read in the simple format of
>
> Date,Time,VirusName,IN/OUT
>
> Or is this functionality already provided and I just missed it.

The information is logged but you'll have to do some number crunching to
get the your stats. You need to have md_log'ing enabled in Minedefang.
The syslog entries will be like this:

Aug 21 12:52:47 chameleon mimedefang.pl[3017]: \
MDLOG,h7LHqGpH003417,virus,W32/Klez.gen at MM,1.2.3.4,<from>,<to>, \
Mar 18 2003 07

just grep out the MDLOG,.*,virus entries and massage the data into the
format you need.

My settings are

md_graphdefang_log_enable('local0', 1);

and I've configured syslog to log 'local0' to a deperate log file
(/var/log/mimedefang.log). It makes it easier for me to what Mime Defang
is doing.

Stephen L Johnson                       stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Unix Systems Administrator              sjohnson at monsters.org
Department of Information Systems