[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin and bayesian filtering

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Mon Aug 18 16:48:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, James Ralston wrote:

> On 2003-08-11 at 09:37:11-0500 Aaron Paetznick <aaronp at critd.com> wrote:
>
> > There has been some discussion of this recently, but I wasn't clear
> > on the outcome.  Is bayesian filtering turned on by default on a
> > stock MIMEDefang/SpamAssassin install?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Do I have to add lines to a config file somewhere
>
> No.
>
> > or should it just work by default?
>
> Yes.

Some caveats for this advice: it is true only if your user for the
MIMEDefang processes (in my config, defang) has rw access to the default
directory that SpamAssassin uses for the bayes_* files, which is
/root/.spamassassin/ IIRC.  If you create a limited rights user you
don't give it access to root's subdirectories so the Bayes stuff will just
silently not do anything.  Manually setting the config option to a
location to which the MIMEDefang user has rw access will allow it to
function.

It would be nice if SA noticed this and reported the error.  We are all
NOT running MD and SA as root, right?  :)

> Keep in mind that SpamAssassin won't start using the BAYES_* rules
> until it has built up a fair corpus of ham/spam.

200 each is the default.

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590