[Mimedefang] Missed Spam

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Fri Aug 15 01:46:01 EDT 2003

On 14 Aug 2003 at 12:23, Will McCorkle wrote:

> I have received another of the same type of Spam and SA did not even see it.
> That seems to be the problem. If you notice in the last email, the Spam was
> not even tested. Any clues why? Dave was kind enough to respond with a body
> test, but the test did not catch the Spam even though it looks the same. It
> may be in the header or how I have SA configured. Any suggestions.

You haven't mentioned which version of SpamAssassin you're using.
Versions prior to 2.5x didn't properly decode Base64-encoded text
prior to running body tests, so that might explain why a new body
test doesn't trigger.

Here are my results from testing your sample spam: (note the
BAYES_90):

Content analysis details:   (10.80 points, 5 required)
HTML_FONT_BIG      (0.2 points)  BODY: FONT Size +2 and up or 3 and
up
HTML_FONT_COLOR_RED (0.1 points)  BODY: HTML font color is red
BODY_8BITS         (1.5 points)  BODY: Body includes 8 consecutive 8-
bit characters
HTML_WITH_BGCOLOR  (0.1 points)  BODY: HTML mail with non-white
background
BAYES_90           (4.1 points)  BODY: Bayesian classifier says spam
probability is 90 to 99%
                   [score: 0.9653]
HTML_50_60         (0.1 points)  BODY: Message is 50% to 60% HTML
MIME_MISSING_BOUNDARY (1.3 points)  RAW: MIME section missing
boundary
BASE64_ENC_TEXT    (1.8 points)  RAW: Message text disguised using
base-64 encoding
NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP  (0.7 points)  URI: Uses a dotted-decimal IP
address in URL
MSG_ID_ADDED_BY_MTA_2 (0.8 points)  'Message-Id' was added by a relay
(2)
MIME_HTML_ONLY     (0.1 points)  Message only has text/html MIME
parts

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager