[Mimedefang] Missed Spam

Will McCorkle WMcCorkle at dgsystems.com
Tue Aug 12 09:15:01 EDT 2003

James,

I have add some comments to your questions and statements. Please let me
know what you think.

On 2003-08-11 at 15:30:02-0500 Will McCorkle <WMcCorkle at dgsystems.com>
wrote:
> We here recently had a rash of spam come in that was not tested by
> SA.

>If it wasn't tested by SpamAssassin, then that's a problem with your
>mimedefang-filter file.

It seems odd to me that everything else is being tested as it comes through.

>If what you actually meant was "SpamAssassin didn't flag this message
>as spam", then modify your mimedefang-filter file so that the
>X-Spam-Status header is always added, even when the message doesn't
>score high enough to be considered spam.  Then you can easily see why
>messages were (or weren't) flagged as spam.
This has been done, and I get the score for both quarantined and passed
email to better set the test scores.

 SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results
----------------------
 SPAM: This was not tagged as spam. Contact your Systems Admin if it is.
 SPAM: Content analysis details:   (0.80 hits, 20 required)
 SPAM: USER_AGENT_OUTLOOK (-0.0 points) X-Mailer header indicates a non-spam
MUA (Outlook)
 SPAM: SPAM_PHRASE_00_01  (0.8 points)  BODY: Spam phrases score is 00 to 01
(low)
 SPAM:                    [score: 0]
 SPAM:
 SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results

>Remember that some spammers actively test their spam against SA, in
>order to find ways to construct their spam so that SA won't detect
>them.  It's a never-ending arms race.

By looking at the header and source from the previous email do you have any
suggestions on how to stop this type of Spam.

Thank You
Will McCorkle
DG Systems
972-581-2119