[Mimedefang] RFC: better virus scanner status reporting?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Aug 10 22:26:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, James Ralston wrote:

> In particular, running Sophos Sweep on a password-protected ZIP file
> will cause sweep to return a non-zero exit code:

>     $ sweep -nb -f -all -ss -archive foo.zip; echo $?
>     Password protected file foo.zip/foo.txt
>     2

If the exit code "2" always means "encrypted", then I agree:  An
"encrypted" category is useful.  If an exit code of "2" could mean
something else, then it becomes difficult to know how to handle this code.

>     1.  I think adding the "encrypted" $category is worth it.  Yes,
>         people can figure this out themselves by looking at $code and
>         $VirusScannerMessages, but it would be easier if MIMEDefang
>         could save the mimedefang-filter writers the effort.

Right.

>     2.  Since I know of no current viruses which actually use
>         password-protected archive files to transmit themselves, at
>         this time, the appropriate $action should be "ok".

I agree -- for now.

> I'd be happy to write the patches to implement #1 and #2 (or any other
> reasonable decision, for that matter), and ensure that the status
> reporting works properly for Sophos Sweep.

I'd be happy to take you up on that offer. :-)  Could you please do patches
relative to the latest beta?  It makes my life easier.