[Mimedefang] bayes filtering for a mimedefang implementation

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Fri Aug 8 16:14:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Bayesian definitely works in a site-wide mode, autolearn process like you
> are talking about.  However, it won't keep in on the tests until you have
> like 200 or 300 messages in the learned queue.

OK.  I understood that it wouldn't start until enough data was collected.
What concerns me is that I see no indication that it is collecting data
beyond when I manually ran sa-learn.

> Assuming you are running as a defang user, in the defang directory, you
> should have a .spamassassin directory with your Bayesian files in there.  Do
> you have the bayes_msgcount file or anything showing that it has started
> storing tokens?  Has it gotten to 200 or 300 yet?

I do run mimedefang and mimedefang-multiplexor as the defang user.
However there is no /home/defang/.spamassassin directory.  In my
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (only file in that directory) I have the
following lines:

use_bayes 1
bayes_auto_learn 1
bayes_file_mode 0777
bayes_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 6.00

and then some custom tests to ensure my test email reaches 6 points, 3 in
the header and 3 in the body.  I set the file mode to avoid any
permissions problems.

I do indeed have the bayes-* files in the correct directory, but they
appeared for the first time when I ran sa-learn and haven't been updated
despite the emails that have been processed by MIMEDefang.

Is there any logging I can enable with MD or SA to see what it is doing
wrt bayes?

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590