[Mimedefang] bayes filtering for a mimedefang implementation

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Fri Aug 8 15:27:02 EDT 2003

I am running SpamAssassin 2.54 and MIMEDefang 2.35.

Is it possible to use Bayesian filtering and bayes_auto_learn (in SpamAss)
with MIMEDefang?  I have no local users on these mail servers, as they
only relay mail to our internal mail system.  I have run sa-learn
manually on some mail on our test system and the bayes files were created
appropriately.  However when I send mail through the machine I do not see
any changes to those files that would indicate auto learning is actually
working.  I have put in some custom SpamAss rules and modified the default
bayes auto learn threshold to ensure that my test message meets the
criteria in the man page.

I reviewed the last few months of list archives and saw one message saying
that auto learning doesn't work with MIMEDefang:

http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-May/005803.html

but other messages indicating others have it working

http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-August/007235.html

This of course begs the question of whether or not learning based on
SpamAss's rating is a good idea.  However a manual sort is not practical
given my users' skills, patience, and MUA.  ;)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590