[Mimedefang] Logging CPU Time

Dave Ellenberger dave at nofuture.ch
Fri Aug 8 11:03:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

>From time to time (let's say 3-4 times a day) it happens that my MIMEDefang
linux box suddenly runs high CPU load. The snort IDS logfiles show nothing
special.

The common load is 0.2 to 0.5 - sometimes 1.0. When a high CPU load spike
happens I allready seen load at 55 - just for a short time. There's nothing
else than sendmail (configured as relay), MIMEDefang and BIND9 (fetchung RBL+
mail-abuse Zone) running on that machine (Intel P4, 1GB RAM).

It often takes a few minutes till I get the high CPU load message by nagios
notifications. When I login the load is back to 0.5 again and I can't see
anything special when running "ps auxf" or "top". The mailserver scans
~100'000 mails a day so only the knowledge of high CPU load event start time
doesn't help to find the mail causing this by checking sendmail's logfiles.

There must be some special kind of mail which makes MIMEDefang run high CPU
load for a short time on my machine.

Is there a easy way to log the MIMEDefang CPU time of for each message?

-Dave