Spillover queue (was RE: [Mimedefang] Quarantine based on con tent)

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Wed Aug 6 09:46:02 EDT 2003

I've already trimmed the queue times way down from default, and that alone,
had greatly reduced the queue size.  Our rationale was that if an
undeliverable message was sent Friday afternoon, by Moday, the sender would
receive the undeliverable notification, rather than waiting until Wednesday
morning, to get the notice.

By the same token, dont take these ideas for trimming message lifetime to
the extreme.  We just last week had a customer complain to us that their
attempt to send a mail to us bounced back as undeliverable.  When they faxed
us the undeliverable notice they received, it showed their mail server
expired the message after just one hour!  We looked at our logs and found
nothing.  Their logs revealed that their server had made only one initial
attempt to deliver, during that hour.

They were tuned to run the queue only once per hour, and had their
QUEUERETURN also set to one hour.  We expect there was a mail-traffic
"spike" on our end that was just busy enough to momentarily refuse
additional connections, at the one time that their server tried to contact
ours.  With no further attempts made by them to push the message before it
expired, the message bounced back as undeliverable.  When we explained to
the sender that the default timeout is 5 days, and that retries default to
several times per hour, their response was a sheepish "oh".

Just for reference, my QUEUERETURN values are roughly half the defaults.
These have worked well for us over the last 3 years that this particular
server has been in service:

define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `2d')
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN_NORMAL', `2d')
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN_URGENT', `1d')
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN_NONURGENT', `2d')
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')

Ken