[Mimedefang] bayes filter setup

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Tue Aug 5 23:22:01 EDT 2003

On Wed Aug 06 2003 at 04:38, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > Anyone know how to setup the bayes learning filter ? I am

> SA needs to know where you store the bayes files. So for example edit
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf and define bayes_path
> /var/spool/MD-Quarantine/bayes.
>
> If you want mimedefang to use bayes filter autolearning set up
>
> use_bayes 1
> auto_learn 1
> bayes_file_mode 0700

(why mode 0700?  It is 0600 by default).

> bayes_path /var/spool/MD-Quarantine/bayes
>
> in /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf.

Soon after I updated to the first version of spamassassin that used
bayes filtering, this directory appeared containing the files
bayes_msgcount bayes_seen and bayes_toks...

  /var/spool/MIMEDefang/.spamassassin/

(This happened because /var/spool/MIMEDefang is the home directory
for the defang user).

So it seems that bayes is already enabled by default, and the
default bayes_path of ~/.spamassassin/ is fine for mimedefang
(depending on the defang user setup).

Question though... is it possible to "merge" the bayes files from
one user into those of another?  Or do I really need to su to defang
and then run sa-learn (again) over the spam/ham mailboxes?
(defang's shell is currently /sbin/nologin).

(I'd like to merge the bayes_* files in /root/.spamassassin/ into
those in /var/spool/MIMEDefang/.spamassassin/).

> Alexander

Cheers
Tony