Spillover queue (was RE: [Mimedefang] Quarantine based on content)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Aug 5 17:09:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Cormack, Ken wrote:

> Ideally, I think the best option may just be to wait until the sendmail
> "spillover host" that I proposed gets budgeted for.

I use a "spillover host concept" on my main machine.  If you look in
the Sendmail "contrib" directory, there's a very useful tool called
"qtool.pl" for moving messages from one queue directory to another.

Once an hour from cron, I run "/bin/move-old-mail-messages.sh"

and move-old-mail-messages.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Move messages with more than 10 retransmission attempts to slow queue
SLOWQUEUE=/var/spool/slow-mqueue
QUEUE=/var/spool/mqueue
qtool.pl -e '$msg{num_delivery_attempts} >= 10' $SLOWQUEUE $QUEUE

So any messages that have been tried at least ten times in the regular
queue get moved to the slow queue.  The last piece of the puzzle is
that I have another queue runner for the slow queue, running once
every eight hours.

Bottom line:  If a message doesn't make it out of the regular queue
within the first 5 hours, it gets shunted out to the slow queue that
runs 1/16th as often as the regular queue.