[Mimedefang] Even hardwiring SA in mimedefang.pl doesn't do it

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Mon Aug 4 17:03:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:03:57PM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:

> Ok, what's in your mail logs (/var/log/mail<whatever>)?  What does
> "sendmail -d0.1 -bv root" show?

mail.log has nothing more that's pertinent than:

Aug  4 16:28:32 china mimedefang-multiplexor: started; minSlaves=2, maxSlaves=10, maxRequests=500, maxIdleTime=300, busyTimeout=300, clientTimeout=10
Aug  4 16:28:32 china mimedefang-multiplexor: Starting slave 0 (pid 24621) (1 running): Bringing slaves up to minSlaves (2)
Aug  4 16:28:32 china mimedefang[24628]: Multiplexor alive - entering main loop
Aug  4 16:28:35 china mimedefang-multiplexor: Starting slave 1 (pid 24631) (2 running): Bringing slaves up to minSlaves (2)

when mimedefang is started from its script in /etc/init.d.

But your sendmail command may be more revealing:

# sendmail -d0.1 -bv root
Version 8.12.9
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND
                NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB PIPELINING SCANF USERDB XDEBUG
Warning: Option: InputMailFilters requires Milter support (-DMILTER)
Warning: Option: Milter requires Milter support (-DMILTER)
Warning: Option: Milter requires Milter support (-DMILTER)
Warning: Option: Milter requires Milter support (-DMILTER)
Warning: Option: Milter requires Milter support (-DMILTER)
Warning: Filter usage ('X') requires Milter support (-DMILTER)

Is that saying that sendmail didn't build right regarding milter support?

Since I installed milter before I was looking at MIMEDefang, I followed the
instructions in sendmail-8.12.9/libmilter and wrote the following two lines
to devtools/Site/site.config.m4 (creating the file):

APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DMILTER')
APPENDDEF(`conf_libmilter_ENVDEF', `-D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE ')

This compares to the HOWTO's instructions which say to add:

dnl Milter
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DMILTER')
APPENDDEF(`conf_libmilter_ENVDEF', `-D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE')

The dnl line shouldn't make a difference -- isn't that just a comment? Could
that extra space (pasted from the libmilter/README) have jinxed something?

The libmilter stuff is all built (from "sh Build in sendmail's libmilter
dir).

I just went into sendmail-8.12.9/sendmail, did an "sh Build clean" then "sh
Build" and got the exact same binary I already have running. I'll try again
without that space, if recommended - normally a space in that sort of place
should make no difference, right?

Whit