[Mimedefang] Is it neccessary to 'Secure' the defang user?

Rich Stanton richard.stanton1 at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 30 14:43:01 EDT 2003

This question is a bit more of a 'general' linux question, but it does
relate to MIMEdefang so I thought I'd ask it here!  MIMEdefang runs as the
defang user - when I created this user I didn't put a password in for the
user.  This now means I have a non-passworded account that anyone can use
to login to my system.  Obviously all that user can touch is files which
are world readable, but it can also view the quarantined files
directory.  Should I be doing anything to secure against this?  Eg should I
prevent the defang user being able to open a shell prompt?  If so, what is
the 'standard' way to do this - can I just make the default shell for the
defang user a script which logs the user out?

Please don't think I'm an admin who should know about these issues already
- I'm just a home user having some fun learning linux!!