[Mimedefang] Loggin Questions

David Meissner dmeissner at jetcity.com
Wed Apr 30 02:02:01 EDT 2003

At 01:12 PM 4/29/2003 -1000, you wrote:
>I am running MD 2.29 and would like to get things to a seperate logfile. I
>have added the following lines to /etc/syslog.conf, if theres a cleaner way
>to do it please enlighten me, its sloppy due to my newness to the solaris
>syslogd.
>
>local1.debug                    ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.info                     ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.err                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.emerg                    ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.notice                   ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.alert                    ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.warning                  ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)
>local1.crit                     ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/defang, @loghost)

I probably don't have the full answer, as I am just beginning to look at
MIMEDefang. But you shouldn't have to specify each of these log levels;
just logging local1.debug will log messages of debug or greater severity.
Of course, you have to make sure that there are only tabs between the
entries, no spaces (":set list" in vi is helpful here). What version of
Solaris are you running? The example syslog entry doesn't look like it is
from Solaris 8 or later.

You can test your syslog.conf with the logger command. Type:

     logger -p local1.debug "This is a test syslog message"

If the message shows up in your log file as expected, then syslog.conf is
fine and the problem is elsewhere. If it doesn't, then something is wrong
with the syslog configuration.

-David Meissner