[Mimedefang] Redhat Startup Script

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Sat Apr 26 06:57:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Jeff Grossman <jeff at stikman.com>:

> I know this was covered recently, but was not able to find the answer in the
> archives.  I am running Redhat 9 and the init script in the redhat directory
> of the tarball does not shut down the mimedefang-multiplexor.  It will start
> it up correctly, but when I select either stop or restart, it does not stop
> the multiplexor correctly.  What was the answer to this problem?

There were many answers to this problem, but I never got a sense that it was
definitively answered.  The problem that I had was related to the killproc()
function in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions looking for the multiplexor's pid file
in /var/run, instead of /var/spool/MIMEDefang.  When this fails, killproc()
falls back to /sbin/pidof.  In one of my configurations, this fallback method
worked, but after I changed it (i.e. put a second processor in the machine) it
stopped working.  I think it had something to do with /sbin/pidof somehow
parsing the output of 'ps' to determine the pid of a process.

At any rate, I fixed the problem by modifying my startup script to create the
multiplexor PID file in /var/run.  After I did this the killproc() function had
no problem getting the pid of the multiplexor.

I believe at one point David was going to put a definitive, 'official' startup
script in the distribution, but this is from memory, I haven't rechecked the
archives to verify this.  I'll send you my script off-list; I think that there
have already been way too many revisions posted here in the past, and it's just
confusing, so I won't add to the noise by posting mine publicly.  The only
thing I can say about mine is it works for ME, so use at your own risk. :-)  If
anyone else wants it let me know...