[Mimedefang] Newbie - Couple of questions

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Fri Apr 25 11:36:06 EDT 2003

On 24 Apr 2003 at 10:10, Todd Adamson wrote:

> I have just recently installed SA 2.53 with Mimedefang 2.31 on a RH 7.3
> box.  Everything is working at the moment with the default install.  I
> have been looking at adding some of the subroutines(?) to the code to
> better filter some of the email.  My question is,  do I always add the
> new sub-routines to the "sub filter ($$$$)" section?  When I add the
> new code, does it always run because it is a sub xxx statement?  Which
> in my mind, means that I do not have to explicitely call the sub routine.

Have a look at "man mimedefang-filter".  Specific subroutines are
called automatically at different points during the program flow; you
only need to make changes where they're relevant to what you're
trying to accomplish.

> 2nd question, is there a way to mark as spam, reject, drop, etc. emails
> that are not english?

The easiest way to do that is to let SpamAssassin take care of it,
making use of the ok_languages and ok_locales options in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf.  Have a look at "perldoc
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf" for information on the syntax.  The basic
gist is that SA will make some attempt to discern the language based
on the message body, if there's sufficient text to do so.

It's not an automatic spam trigger, but the scores for
CHARSET_FARAWAY, UNDESIRED_LANGUAGE_BODY, etc. can be significant
contributors.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager