[Mimedefang] application... jpg

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Apr 24 09:20:00 EDT 2003

Virusmail came with two attachments.  The one named .exe was
successfully removed by mimedefang.  The second one is
application/octet-stream but has a .jpg extension.  I have
appended only two lines of the encoded data.

The Content-Type of the whole message is multipart/alternative
which seems wrong for a message with one text part and two
application parts.

It make me think about testing for multipart/alternative with
only one text part.  In previous work, I noticed we get good
mail calling itself multipart/alternative but containing
exactly one part that is text.  Possibly, alternative could
really be text and image although I've never seen that.  I'm
wondering if any of you have tried a test like this.

I realize a virus checker would presumably have tossed this
whole message.  But maybe it could be tossed before going to
the virus checker.

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group

--IK974hhM0P6L8q6u9cVJ2m1CW3u4de

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>

<FONT>This is a special  funny website<br>
I wish you would enjoy it.</FONT></BODY></HTML>

--IK974hhM0P6L8q6u9cVJ2m1CW3u4de

WARNING: This message has been altered by a mail filter on
Columbia University's mail server, columbia.edu.

An attachment named HEIGHT.exe
was removed from this message as a possible security hazard.

--IK974hhM0P6L8q6u9cVJ2m1CW3u4de

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAUDBAQEAwUEBAQFBQUGBwwIBwcHBw8LCwkMEQ8S
EhEPERETFhwXExQaFRERGCEYGh0dHx8fExciJCIeJBweHx7/2wBDAQUFBQcGBw4ICA4eFBEU