[Mimedefang] Scaling MIMEDefang / SA on Solaris

Alberto da Silva Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za
Thu Apr 17 13:16:01 EDT 2003

I run Solaris 8 here are some of the things I found:
1) .mc file

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:2m;R:2m;E:8m')

dnl    F=R Reject connection if filter unavailable
dnl    F=T Temporary fail connection if filter unavailable
dnl    F=  left out, continue if no filter
dnl    T=S:2m Timeout for sending information from the MTA to a filter.
Default: 10s
dnl      R:2m Timeout for reading reply from the filter. Default: 10s
dnl      E:8m  Overall timeout between sending end-of-message to filter and
waiting for the final acknowledgment. Default: 5m

If the milter keeps dying leave out F=T

2) Use a memory resident AV scanner (clamd, trophie, etc) - I use trophie.
3) Increase the soft ulimit
ulimit -Sn 1024
before starting MD, trophie, clamd etc.

If you need more that 1024 then update /etc/system
set rlim_fd_max=4096

You can see how many fd are in use using lsof (www.sunfreeware.com)

4) Limit perl mem usage mimedefang-multiplexor -M 30720    (30MB)
use prstat to see mem useage per process.

5) Set the -x MAX_SLAVES to PHYS RAM/ 30M (-M in 4)
You can see how much RAM is required by using prstat

Hope this helps

Alberto da Silva