[Mimedefang] Spam sneaking in through secondary MX??

John john at jjgb.com
Fri Apr 11 11:24:00 EDT 2003

At 08:49 AM 4/11/03, you wrote:
>This may be a bit off topic but I've noticed spam passing through an
>SMTP gateway that is a fallback to the fallback gateway.  I have weights
>of 10, 20 & 30 on 3 MX exchanges.  It seems unlikely that the 10 & 20
>weight MX records would be unresponsive, which is what I thought would
>have to happen for mail to fallback to the 3rd exchange.  The third
>gateway by the way does not do Spam or virus filtering.  Do spammers
>purposely seek out secondary exchanges to use or are my other two
>gateways failing and mail going to the third one?

Spammers have always tried to find an edge.  One of them is testing the
list of MX's and seeing which one they have success with.  Many times a
second or third MX is not in direct control of the main MX.  Therefor   may
have different access settings and SPAM features like your 3rd MX.  I do
secondary MX for a friend and initially he complained about bouncing mail
when his server was down rather then Queuing it.  My servers have very
tight access files along with many blocked /8's and 16's causing him to get
some rejections.  However, I have seen the Spammers on a regular basis
still trying to climb MX's to get in.  Since both my primary and secondary
have identical access files and other SPAM things, failure on my primary
and secondary are identical.  If they cannot get into the primary and try
climbing into my secondary, the results are the same.

If you have control over your primary and secondary, and not your tertiary,
I'd drop number 3 in a heart beat <G>