[Mimedefang] Spam sneaking in through secondary MX??

James Whittington jwhittington at excelorant.com
Fri Apr 11 10:51:01 EDT 2003

This may be a bit off topic but I've noticed spam passing through an
SMTP gateway that is a fallback to the fallback gateway.  I have weights
of 10, 20 & 30 on 3 MX exchanges.  It seems unlikely that the 10 & 20
weight MX records would be unresponsive, which is what I thought would
have to happen for mail to fallback to the 3rd exchange.  The third
gateway by the way does not do Spam or virus filtering.  Do spammers
purposely seek out secondary exchanges to use or are my other two
gateways failing and mail going to the third one?

Inquiring minds want to know...

James Whittington
Systems Administrator

Excelorant, LLC