[Mimedefang] Using TMPFS

Mary Verge DeSisto mverge at epnet.com
Wed Apr 9 14:59:01 EDT 2003

>On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Joseph Brennan wrote:
>
>> But there's loads of memory.  We were thinking of using TMPFS
>> for mimedefang's files.  Has anyone done that?
>
>As Nik Clayton wrote, this is mandatory for busy servers, especially
>on Solaris.
>
>--
>David.

I created a link for /var/spool/MIMEDefang to /tmp to use tmpfs on my busy
solaris server.  I get "local socket name /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
unsafe" in my logs.  I assume that is because of permissions on /tmp.

eastwood# ls -ld /var/spool/MIMEDefang
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         15 Apr  9 14:53 /var/spool/MIMEDefang ->
/tmp/MIMEDefang
eastwood# ls -ld /tmp/MIMEDefang
drwx------   2 defang   sysadmin     201 Apr  9 14:18 /tmp/MIMEDefang
eastwood# ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt   5 root     sys         1160 Apr  9 14:53 /tmp

Is there a way to get around this without removing permissions on /tmp.  I do
not want to change the /tmp permission for fear of breaking something else.  Is
it better to just mount the spool directory tmpfs instead?

thanks,
-Mary