[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin is not installed ?

Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 08:30:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Tom Horan wrote:

> Right, I got perl 5.6.1 installed, happened to have it handy ... but now
> mimedefang cant find vars.pm
> vars.pm is located in:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/vars.pm
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/vars.pm

I may be a bit late with this (too busy patching sendmails :), but there
doesn't seem to have been a resolution posted in this thread.

I had similar problems with my initial installation and they were all
due to bad directory permissions when installing perl modules. When
doing 'make install', if the target directory didn't exist, it got
created with the umask my root shell was running with, and the directory
would end up owned by root with no group or world permissions. Doing
something like

  mimedefang.pl -features

as root would work, but running from mimedefang would not, as it runs as
the defang (or whatever) user.

If this is the problem it can be fixed with

  # cd /usr/local/lib/perl5
  # find . -type d | xargs chmod 755

and just for good measure...

  # find . -type f | xargs chmod 644

I do that every time I install a perl module now.

Scott Larnach, Edinburgh University