[Mimedefang] Off-Topic: Virus Scanner Alternatives

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 10:53:00 EDT 2003

>From: "Robert Covell" <rcovell at rolet.com>
>
>Researching alternatives to KAV or RAV with MD and wanted some opinions as
>to what others are using.  I looked at clamav but it seems to be inactive,
>or I just went to the wrong place.  Not sure about Sophie.  Any
>suggestions,
>good or bad?

Well, Trend (linux) is free.  F-Prot do a free version (for at least
FreeBSD) for personal use.  AVP and Sophos are both quite good.

Used all the above, mostly with Trend as a backup if I'm running on Linux.

AVP, Sophos and Trend have the advantage of having a daemon option
(Trophie/Sophie for Trend/Sophos).  This makes them a little faster...

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?