[Mimedefang] Drop definite spam, but save it somewhere

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu Apr 3 12:12:15 EST 2003

On 3 Apr 2003 at 15:12, Tom Horan wrote:

> I'm fairly happy that anything over a 10 is spam, so I want to drop it. But
> still want it saved somewhere, either diverted to a seperate mailbox or just
> saved as a file.
>
> I can see a action_discard and an action_quarantine_entire_message, so I
> presume this is what I'm looking for. What happens to message when
> quarantined ? Does it mail administrator or sit in a directory ?
>
> Anyone help me out ?

You may want to think about the potential ramifications of dropping
vs. bouncing -- if you bounce a false positive, then at least the
sender has some hope of being notified and trying to reach you
through other channels.

Anyway, we're doing pretty much what you describe (though we're
bouncing instead of discarding), using
action_quarantine_entire_message.  I didn't want spam and bad
attachments/viruses in the same directory, though, so I'm
quarantining spam in its own directory:

(This code fragment is from filter_end.)
if ($hits >= 10) {
    #Double required spam score; quarantine & bounce.
    my ($tmpQuarantineDir) = $QuarantineDir;
    $QuarantineDir = $QuarantineDir . "/spam";
    action_quarantine_entire_message("$report\n");
    $QuarantineDir = $tmpQuarantineDir;
    send_quarantine_notifications();
    return action_bounce("SPAM not accepted here.");
}

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager