[Mimedefang] [slightly OT] MS Exchange server (was Re: virus notifications, etc.)

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:54:21 EST 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 21:33, alan premselaar wrote:

> *OR* better yet. an opensource alternative that has the same functionality
> and has multi-platform based client apps?
> (then i can apply an ample amount of C4 to our Exchange server and fix it
> for good)

Two that I'm aware of.

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/index.html

Includes on online demo of the web interface.  Interesting that it does not
use MAPI, making me wonder what Outlook/Exchange uses MAPI for.  When I tried
Eudora against an Exchange server, IMAP worked fine with everything, but
calendaring was a little shaky.  But then, Eudora does not include a
calendaring application.

http://www.osafoundation.org/our_product_desc.htm

Description of Mitch Kapor/Andy Refkin's Chandler, and screen shots of
the Vista prototype.   This is an Outlook replacement (not a feature by
feature clone), and is designed for the small enterprise (under 100).
It operates peer-to-peer, so no central exchange server is needed.

Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    AFS/DFS, email, usenet, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/