[Mimedefang] Caching the results of a SpamAssassin scan

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Apr 3 09:30:02 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, April 2, 2003 23:59 -0600 Michael Sims
<michaels at mail3.crye-leike.com> wrote:

> I've been tuning performance on my about-to-go-live mail server.  Just for
> kicks I decided to remove certain portions of my MIMEDefang filter to see
> where the intense processing was really happening.  It was no surprise
> that the SpamAssassin scan was the CPU hog.  So much so that the rest of
> the script is insignificant by comparison.

If you have any detail it would be interesting.

I assumed this was the case, and have excluded some categories
of mail from going to Spamassassin.

    $doSA = 0;
    # Skip SpamAssassin sometimes...
    #   ...like for mail from localhost (don't bounce our own bounces)
    undef($doSA) if ($RelayAddr eq "127.0.0.1");
    #   ...like for mail sent with smtp auth
    undef($doSA) if defined($SendmailMacros{"auth_type"});
    #   ...like for mail coming from certain trusted hosts
    undef($doSA) if ($RelayHostname =~ /XXXXXXX.columbia.edu/);

    # Spam checks if SpamAssassin is installed
    if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"} && defined($doSA)) {
    . . .

> Even though these were all separate SMTP sessions, each message has
> the exact same message-ID.

But how much spam is like that?  Was this just the result of your
test message having that message-ID in it?  It doesn't seem normal
although some spamware might do it.

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group