[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.21 is released - Important Security Note

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Sep 13 14:29:00 EDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> if a user checks the 'break apart messages larger than xxx Kb' option in
> Outlook Express, doesn't that generate message/partial?
> if so, that's .. um.. "legitimate" mail

I disagree.  If a user attaches a harmless, fun program called
"DancingChickens.exe", most MD admins would block it, and not listen
to protests of legitimacy.

message/partial is a bad specification.  It's easy to abuse.  You can
run some nice attacks by exploiting it.  Just send only the first n-1
out of n parts for hundreds of messages.  Or send lots of very
deeply-nested message/partial messages (the RFC says that after
reassembly, it's permissible to end up with another message/partial --
in other words, several levels of fragmentation.)  How long do we wait
for reassembly?  Or how about sending different parts from different
sender addresses -- where to failure messages go?  How about sending a
harmless part 3 and a malicious part 3.  Which part really ends up
being used?

There is no reasonable way to reassemble message/partial on a Sendmail
server.  And there is no way to reliably scan message/partials.  Finally,
MTA administrators who set limits on message sizes do so for a reason, and
you shouldn't try to get around it with (IMO) sneaky tactics.