[Mimedefang] MD w/SpamAssassin: body/subject not rewritten

Jeff Powell jeff at jeffpowell.com
Sat Sep 28 19:05:01 EDT 2002

I am using MIMEDefang 2.21 and SpamAssassin 2.41.  Spam gets correctly
tagged as such, but the SA report is not included in the body of the
message.  It appears as an attachment instead.  Also, the subject is not
rewritten to have ******SPAM****** in it as it does using other methods
than MIMEDefang.  Finally, Using another milter (or other method), SA
puts a line in the header called X-Spam-Status: with a value of either
Yes or No.  This is how we set our clients to filter the tagged
messages.  Without it, we would have to rely on the tagged subject, but
obviously I can't do that right now.
Am I doing something wrong?  I have tried changing the settings for
report_header and rewrite_subject in sa-mimedefang.cf and restarting
sendmail (I know the file is being read because I can change the
required hits and it works).  I also tried changing $AddWarningsInline
to 1 in the filter itself.

The mail log indicated that the body has been replaced (milter message:
body replaced) but gives no info on the subject.

Ideally, I would like the subject to be rewritten to include
******SPAM******,
The X-Spam-Status:Yes tag back in the headers,
and the SA report in the body and not as an attachment.
Can anybody help?

I am testing this on Mandrake Linux 9.0 using sendmail 8.12.5.  I got
the Mandrake sendmail SRPM, extracted the source from it using rpm -ba
and made my changes for MIMEDefang using the source in the
/usr/src/RPM/BUILD dir, then recompiled and reinstall sendmail from
there.

Thanks,

Jeff