[Mimedefang] POP Error:

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Sep 26 13:59:01 EDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Chad Stalvey wrote:

> Some of my users are starting to get this error:
>
> Sep 26 11:11:35 mail popper[6089]: jcthomas at 204.194.37.252
> (204.194.37.252): -ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to process From lines (envelopes),
> change recognition modes or check for corrupted mail drop.

   We used to see that occasionally when we used qpopper as a pop3 server.
It's most likely caused by a corrupt username.pop file that was left
laying around by a pop process that died.  Since changing to ipop3d
(another pop server), we have not had the problem.  ipop3d is part of the
University of Washington's IMAP distribution.  You can find out more about
it here:

	http://www.washington.edu/imap/index.html

   In the meantime, look in your spool dir (or your "popdrop" dir) for a
.jcthomas.pop file (note the leading period) and rename it and see if that
fixes the problem.  You may want to save it in case there is mail in it
that he hasn't gotten yet.

   HTH...

Jim
* James H. McCullars                 I Phone: (256) 824-2610              *
* Director of Systems & Operations   I Fax:   (256) 824-6643              *
* Computer & Network Services        I Internet: mccullj at email.uah.edu    *
* The University of Alabama          I -----------------------------------*
*    in Huntsville                   I                                    *
* Huntsville, AL 35899               I This space for rent - CHEAP!       *