[Mimedefang] This is fun... (temp failing)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 26 12:18:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     === Message successfully pushed out, and remotely delivered.  As soon as that was done, I started getting these:

> Sep 26 00:58:24 serpico sm-mta[10980]: g8Q6wO9t010980: Milter (mimedefang): to error state
> Sep 26 00:58:24 serpico sm-mta[10980]: g8Q6wO9t010980: Milter: initialization failed, temp failing commands

This, in my experience, is not due to overload or multiplexor problems.
Occasionally, it seems, Sendmail's milter interface gets whacked.  I use
the "Microsoft Solution" and stop Sendmail and MD, and then restart both,
and it usually clears it. :-(  It can also happen if you somehow start
another instance of MD without stopping the old one first.

By the way, it's no good having an excessively-long "busy timeout", because
that will get you duplicates.  The sender will time out first and resend,
but the original message will still get sent.  A very long "idle timeout"
should be OK.