[Mimedefang] Tally script?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Sep 24 15:54:00 EDT 2002

    Is anyone doing any kind of tallying through their filter?  I'd like to
track what happens no the filter level so I can present the data to the folks
upstairs who just don't bloody understand the level of crap that flows over our
pipe.

    Right now my filter does the following:

    - virus get action_drop_with_warning()
    - spam score >20 get action_bounce()
    - spam score >10 get action_quarantine_entire_message() pending
      my approval
    - spam score >5 get action_add_part() adding SA's report and
      delivered to the recipient

    These numbers may change in the future, but for now it's helping quite a
bit.  Now, what I'd like to do for starters is:

    - log how many virus email a day we get
    - log how many messages get rejected
    - log how many get quarantined
    - log how many >5 pass through

    Expanding on this, (and this does NOT have to happen right away), I want to
log how many of each virus we get.  So far I've counted some 20+ messages with
4 different viruses arriving at our server and getting dropped.  I want to
tally this up in a flat text file that would list each virus we've received and
how many times.

    Then I would like to break down the spam scores as well, for example, log
how many messages had a score of >40, how many >30, >20, >15, etc., etc.

    I'm not sure if I should be doing this through MD's filter, or have it pass
the data to an external script (and if so, I wouldn't know where to start.)

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.