[Mimedefang] Mime Defang Graphs

Tim Kramer kramer.tim at cox.net
Mon Sep 23 21:43:01 EDT 2002

I've stored data a couple different ways before.  Because the
virus scanners were on multiple relays and I needed to gather
the data (and didn't mind a slight delay), I sent the data
via e-mail to a central account.  There, a second script
parsed the message and dropped the data in a MySQL database.
>From there, a cron'd script generated the graphics periodically.

Here's a link to the daily graph we generate (McAfee scanner,
MySQL database, GNUPlot, and Perl):

http://members.cox.net/kramer.tim/virusmonth.png

I like John's graph better.  Problems with mine:

- limited colors (notice they tend to repeat)
- poor control over order of color (sometimes both top lines
are red)
- the script is just a cheesy wrapper around GNUPlot.

Things I like about it:
- the y-axis auto-scales
- the labeling requires no extra programming
- data includes: sender, recipient, subject, virus, timestamp
- my users seem to like it (they have no idea)
- the data is maintained separately (in a MySQL table) and
  can be used for other things

Haven't looked a John's implementation but, after reading
the description, would like to use at least part of it.

- Tim