[Mimedefang] some question about the reliability of incoming email.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Sep 23 12:47:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Cahya Wirawan wrote:

>   I have tested this mimedefang (with spammassassin), and it works
> very good, but before I put this software in production , I want
> first to know if it is possible that the incoming email could be
> lost in mimedefang server (my sendmail and mimedefang use its own
> machine) if there is any problem with the mimedefang server.

If you use the "F=T" flag in your Sendmail configuration file, as recommended,
any MIMEDefang failure will result in a temporary-failure indication
to the sending relay.  It's very unlikely that MIMEDefang will result
in lost e-mails, although a badly-configured system could generate
duplicates.  (You'd really have to try hard to do this, though.)

> how do I tell sendmail not to reject the email, but just send it to
> recipient without mimedefang filtering?

Do not use the "F=T" flag.  But I strongly recommend using F=T; it's better
to fix your MIMEDefang rules than skip scanning.