[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.21 is released - Important Security Note

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Sep 13 09:10:01 EDT 2002

On 13 Sep 2002, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:

> If we upgrade to MD 2.21 + MIME-Tools RP, what happens with clean
> multipart messages ?

Multipart messages are just fine.  It's the "message/partial" type
which causes problems.  If you update MD, but do not change your filter,
MD will *attempt* to parse message/partial types, but this is not guaranteed.

MD will not attempt to reassemble messages.  I cannot imagine a valid
use for the "message/partial" type; it seems to be a hack to get around
MTA message size limits, so I recommend rejecting message/partial.