[Mimedefang] need a small collection of test-case messages...

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Mon Sep 2 07:09:00 EDT 2002

I would like to test the functionality of some of my filtering
rules, but there's a small problem... it is difficult to test them
unless a message happens to come by with (say) suspicious chars in
its headers.  Up until now that has not happened, it is likely to be
a rarity, and if it ever does then I'd really like to be sure that
the filter will do exactly what I expect.

Does anyone have a useful collection of small test-case messages
that can confirm the general robustness of my filter and test the
handling of the more unusual and obscure cases?

There's the standard eicar.com virus test file
(http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm) that could be put
into an email attachment in all sorts of different ways, another
with more than one infected part (I've never seen what happens if
that was the case)...

  ...suspicious chars in headers, badly formatted email addresses,
  bad filenames and extenstions including things like combinations
  of mimetypes with inappropriate extensions, small files that can
  give fairly reliable spam scores (from medium to high), a virus in
  a message that would otherwise earn high spam hits, text/html for
  testing if anomy htmlcleaner is working as expected...  all sorts
  of things could be possible and most of the test-suite files
  themselves would only need to be very small.

There are also security issues that can be tested for too, for
example, messages specifically designed to trick/crash/dos "bad" or
poorly designed filtering rules, tests to check the behaviour of
mime exploints and the general robustness of the backend
mime-handling (eg unpatched mailtools), and so on.

I'm sure a small suite of test messages wrapped in a tarball would
be a gem of a find in the defang contrib/ directory... :)  Also a
good idea for Jeffrey's defang tips page.

Cheers
Tony