[Mimedefang] Sendmail -DMILTER Issues

T. Halter gpmac at proshells.com
Sun Sep 1 01:40:01 EDT 2002

Everyone,

  I can not get mimedefang to work.  I believe the issue is in the milter
setup for sendmail.  I keep getting the following entries in the
/var/log/messages log file when I start sendmail:

Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: mimedefang-multiplexor startup succeeded
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: mimedefang startup succeeded
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: Warning: Option: InputMailFilters requires
Milter support (-DMILTER)
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: Warning: Option: Milter requires Milter
support (-DMILTER)
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche last message repeated 3 times
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: Warning: Filter usage ('X') requires
Milter support (-DMILTER)
Aug 31 21:14:12 tyche sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded

  I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.  To perform the install, I used
the How-To done by Mickey Hill, located at:
   http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/

  I followed the sendmail installation instructions to a tee.  I've used
sendmail and have installed versions of it from 8.8.x.  I've added a few
things to the sendmail.mc file for the system, including my virtual user
table, the generics table and the access table, which are key to my
setups, but should work with everything.

  I've installed SpamAssassin and have tested it with test files, which
would indicate that it is working.

  The /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter file appearantly isn't being touched.  I
added an "action_add_header" to the very beginning of the sub
filter_begin just to see if it would add it to any of the e-mails and it
is not.

  Given the error above, I pursued my setup of sendmail and modified the
Makefile to include the call for libmilter so that it would be installed
as well, and then watched as it was installed.  I installed the
libraries and the header files as instructed in the FAQ.  I still get
nothing, just the above entries in the /var/log/messages file.

  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

T. Halter
gpmac at proshells.com