Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] clamd is not responding?)

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 02:15:01 EST 2002

>From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
>
>Another survey question: Currently, mimedefang and
>mimedefang-multiplexor complain if you run them as root.  Who votes
>for having them refuse completely to run as root in the next release?

That mostly gets my vote, certainly a default to running as another user.
Maybe something in the install script to do all the hard work, or at least
check that the configured user exists?

>Does anyone have a scenario which requires MD to run as root?

Just possibly for debugging/testing.  However I'd say that if it's run as
root it runs in debugging mode, ie all output also to STDERR and it won't
detach from the terminal.  Maybe like some programs it would also exit after
processing a single message in that configuration.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?