[Mimedefang] Mimedefang 2.16 unable to create directory in spool dir

Jeffrey Tay tleebeng at dso.org.sg
Thu Oct 31 02:06:01 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm facing a problem, where I get the following error in my mail logs:

Oct 21 10:25:37 server1 mimedefang[282]: [ID 142508 mail.warning] Could
not create mdefang directory in /var/spool/MIMEDefang: File exists

I believe this is due to the temporary working directory Mimedefang
creates when processing mail.

I'm using Mimedefang 2.16, with Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 2 with 256MB RAM
and 1GB swap. Sendmail is 8.12.5
NAI uvscan is called to scan the mails.

Am using the multiplexor, the multiplexor startup options which look
interesting are:
MX_SLAVE_DELAY=3
#MX_MIN_SLAVE_DELAY is commented out
MX_MINIMUM=4
MX_MAXIMUM=20

The comments in the startup script for the multiplexor state that in idle
mode, MX_SLAVE_DELAY controls the rate in which slaves are spawned.

The comment for MX_MIN_SLAVE_DELAY states that a busy system will spawn
as fast as needed, if I define this to a non-zero value, will it prevent
the problem I'm facing? And will it cause any mails to bounce or tempfail
due to the "delay" ?

Appreciate any advise

Regards
Jeffrey