Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] clamd is not responding?)

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed Oct 30 12:04:00 EST 2002

On 29 Oct 2002 at 15:13, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Another survey question: Currently, mimedefang and
> mimedefang-multiplexor complain if you run them as root.  Who votes
> for having them refuse completely to run as root in the next release?  Does
> anyone have a scenario which requires MD to run as root?

Just 'cause I can't think of a scenario doesn't mean there isn't one.
:-)

How 'bout have them refuse to run as root, except with an explicit
override (via a config file option or command line flag, or
something).

I'm thinking along the lines of the DontBlameSendmail options--you
*can* do silly stuff if you really want to, but it takes some effort.

Nels Lindquist <*>
----
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  And inside
of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx