Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] cl amd is not responding?)

Clayton, Nik [IT] nik.clayton at citigroup.com
Wed Oct 30 06:02:01 EST 2002

> Another survey question: Currently, mimedefang and
> mimedefang-multiplexor complain if you run them as root.  Who votes
> for having them refuse completely to run as root in the next
> release?  Does
> anyone have a scenario which requires MD to run as root?

"Damn it, why isn't MD working properly?  I wonder if it's a permissions
problem.  Lets just test it as root so that I can rule that out"

would be about the only reason I'd see for making it possible.  Either
make it an option ("Run with --dont-blame-mimedefang to allow MD to run
as root", by analogy with the confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL config option), or
put in the docs "If you really want to run MD as root you'll need to edit
the source code, and comment out the UID checks.  At which point you're
on your own").

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
  -- The 75 column-ometer
                                             Contributing to the heat death
Global Messaging, 120 Cheapside, x83331      of the universe since 1973.