Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] clamd is not responding?)

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Wed Oct 30 00:19:07 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Jim McCullars wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:
>
> > for having them refuse completely to run as root in the next release?  Does
> > anyone have a scenario which requires MD to run as root?
>
>    I vote "yea", even though I did run it as root once when I was having
> trouble getting it to start and I needed to eliminate it being a
> permissions problem.

Because of reasons like your's, I recommend a way to disable the check or
ignore the check either in a config file or via the commandline.  I
imagine there are valid reasons for running it as root on occasion. Your's
is a good example.  Not having the ability at all would be a limiting
factor when debugging a problem IMHO.

justin