Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] clamd is not responding?)

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Wed Oct 30 00:16:08 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Jason Englander wrote:
>
> > Read through bugtraq for a while.
>
> Another survey question: Currently, mimedefang and
> mimedefang-multiplexor complain if you run them as root.  Who votes
> for having them refuse completely to run as root in the next release?  Does
> anyone have a scenario which requires MD to run as root?

Personally I'd rather not have it run as root BUT I also don't know how to
properly configure it to NOT run as root.  Some really good documentation
with step by step instructions for each of the common MTAs should be
available if you make this change.  Honestly I never have figured out how
to get the various bits of my mail system to run as a common set of
users:groups.  amavis, smmsp, mail, defang--there's just too many to get
straight.  I spent some time looking and asked in a few places.  Other
than that running as root is my lazy way out.

My $.02
Justin