Security and another survey question (was Re: [Mimedefang] clamd is not responding?)

Dave Williss dwilliss at microimages.com
Tue Oct 29 16:56:02 EST 2002

I like the idea of requiring it to run it as mailnull or some other user.
As long as it's well documented where to change the user it's run as
in the config file before building.  I would be against having it be its
own user.

If it always logs its permission errors to syslog (which I believe it does)
then you never need to run as root.  If there are permission problems,
you can find them.  Perhaps mimedefang could check the permissions
on its spool directory and report any problems as soon as it starts
instead of waiting for the first message to be received. (maybe it
already does this?)

Is there any security problem with having the multiplexor run _by_
root but immediately switch to run _as_ some other, less powerful
user?