[Mimedefang] Best method of dealing with automatic - propagationvirus mails

Tue Oct 29 10:22:01 EST 2002

Hi Les,

I don't want to go overboard on this, but I think your argument is flawed.

I hope that I'm not missing your point, but here is what I think you are saying and why I think you are wrong:  Please bear in mind that throughout this my core point is that we would like big ISP's to do at least a tiny basic scanning service to remove even the top 3 virus's in the wild and block them.

1) You make the connecting machine responsible for the bounce, so nothing is different that you yourself bouncing.

I disagree because the chain of SMTP servers is finite.  The point is that you are probably number 2 in the chain, in which case you bounce to "big ISP", who should have stopped them in the first place, or you are number one in which case you are killing the raw SMTP connection from the virus.

2) Bouncing mail to an incorrect address infects someone new.

Well perhaps, but remember that the typical virus has the whole address book to hand and emails TO every address, substituting random address as the FROM.  So if the FROM clause was random then everyone would be on two emails, once as the recipient and once as the FROM.

Now on the scales of getting people suspicious I have observed a couple of people who got the latest virus and didn't notice, but when they started getting the bounce messages (incorrectly), saying message refused because there was a virus they got suspicious and bought a virus scanner.

So I claim that a bounce message at least gets people's attention.

3) We miss a virus and the next MX spots it and bounces it...

So what, it's just a bounce.  The recipient receives it, blames us (incorrectly) and we decide that we better get a better virus scanner because it's cheaper than dealing with the complaints.  The world becomes a better place.

I beleive that most MTA's drop a bounce which has bounced.  No mailloops should develop.

I really don't see that it is any more complicated than this.  I personally would love to just accept the virus and drop it quietly, but this is unethical (see other email).  You should NEVER quietly discard email and not tell someone.  See my "Big CEO" example for why.  So the next best thing would be for us all to just reject connections that we don't like and if enough people do it then eventually we are rejecting the connection at source (this has got to be a clue to the poor infected soul if they can't click send/recv without getting an error message from their ISP which says "Sorry you are infected with a virus you may not send email...", and the stuff never gets out in the first place.

The great thing about the reject idea is that those who don't do it bear a greater email burden and so the incentive is to join the gang and install a virus scanner.  This is the whole point, lets get ISP's to scan email for viruses (and spam also would be nice...)

Ed W